Monday, June 20, 2011

Art Work

Ever since the boys were very small I have wanted to paint and decorate their bedroom so that they would have a fun place to play and a nice place to sleep at night. Now I don't know about your kids but my kids are forever changing their minds... one day they like fish, the next day they like monkeys, the day after that it's transformers or spiderman. I have always been a little bit hesitant to spend money on decor that they like today when tomorrow they could come tell me that they hate it, so I have always just opted to do nothing. Anyways, a few weeks ago I was walking through the dollar store (which happens to be one of the best stores in Fort Mac) and I came across these gigantic blank canvas pictures and the wheels in my mind started to turn... I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them but I was positive that I needed to have them. I didn't buy them right away because really, what on earth did I need them for? So that night when I was tucking Evan and Logan into bed I was laying there looking around their room and the best idea of my life ( okay maybe not that good, but close) came to my mind... How fantastic would it be to go back to the dollar store, purchase the canvas pictures and a whole bunch of paint and then let the boys paint their own wall art work?!?! Pretty stinkin fantastic!! So that's exactly what I did!!

Now for those of you that know me well, you know that I am somewhat of a perfectionist and have a hard time just letting things happen so this particular project was insanely hard for me to not micro-manage... that being said, I think I did a pretty good job of letting the boys be creative.

Logan was "all hands on deck" right from the beginning.. he thought that having a plate of paint, about 10 paint brushes, and his imagination, was awesome... he needed absolutely no coaching or prompting.. he just went for it. I helped Logan do his hand print and then he asked me to paint a rainbow so... I at least got to do some of it :)


Evan took a little more convincing. He is very cautious and calculated and the idea of just sitting down and creating whatever he wanted with no direction or purpose other than to just make a mess was a little more than he could handle. In fact, He couldn't come up with good enough ideas (his words not mine) for his picture so he chose to just mix all the colors together on one hand and then smear a reddy brown paint everywhere. Any of the pictures that you do see on here were pretty much forced. Evan did draw the Sun on his own but Dan drew the bird, the rainbow, and of course the excavator. He tried to quit half way through but we got him to finish by bribing him with candy.... if you promise your kids a special treat, you can get them to do pretty much anything ;)


It's hard to tell from the pictures but, The canvas' are quite large, they cover a good portion of the wall above each of their beds. The boys LOVE them and are extremely proud of their art work! This was a fun, relatively cheap, way to decorate the boys room - it is special and I will forever have these as a keep sake! I wish now that I had thought to take pictures of them actually doing the painting but, the stress of it was overwhelming and the idea just never came to be. Bummer.

On another note... ever since the boys learned how to paint, they have been making art work all over the place with anything they can get their hands on.... Side walk chalk, crayons, yogurt, and the newest one... MUD! Thank God that I own half of all the cleaning supplies in Fort McMurray!


This actually made me smile... I think the Little hand prints are adorable and they were so proud of this... It's hard to get mad when your kids run up to you with the hugest smile on their face wanting to show you their creations! I did however have to give them a little talking to when they went next door and did the same thing to the neighbors! Thankfully she has two twin 2 yr olds so she knows what its about and was very understanding!

Anyways... Thanks for stoppin by :)

~ Tanisha





2 comments:

  1. So cute! Love their canvas creations, AND the door ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea! You're such a creative mommy ;)

    ReplyDelete